[cfe-dev] [RFC] Use preferred alignment instead of ABI alignment for complete object when applicable

James Y Knight via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 18 09:20:41 PDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:01 AM Xiangling Liao <xiangxdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks to me as if at least examples 1, 2, and 4 are places that should
> *not* be changed to use the "AIX preferred" alignment, because they are
> inquiring about the guaranteed alignment of an existing pointer, which may
> well not have been placed at the preferred alignment. I haven't dug into
> the code beyond your snippet so I'm not sure about examples 3 and 5.
>

> To be honest, I am not familiar with every snippet where functions like
> “getTypeAlignInChars” is used. So I just list some locations that call
> “getTypeAlignInChars”. But I did mean that we probably should replace them
> with “PreferredAlignment” for AIX.
>

> 1. In AIX rules, not only an aggregate can now have a different preferred
> alignment from guaranteed alignment, but also double, long double.
>

> We see the semantic of “PreferredAlignment” on AIX represents a “T”’s
> actual alignment. In other words, ABI alignment on AIX is kinda useless
> except for being used to let “alignof(T)” return a correct value.

I feel like there's a fundamental misunderstanding here -- the ABI
alignment is not at all useless. Please see my previous email about the two
different concepts of alignment.

For example, the AIX preferred alignment of 'double' is 8, and the
guaranteed ("ABI") alignment is 4. If you compile the following function,
the load/store instructions must be emitted with "align 4" and not "align
8" on them, because that's all that you know about a pointer to double.
  void foo(double* out, double* in) { *out = *in * 2; }

2. For the example1, you mentioned the “the guaranteed alignment of an