[cfe-dev] Using clang-tool to Exact type names in template specification arguments

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 13 08:58:26 PDT 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 7:45 AM David Rector <davrecthreads at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correction: I did not notice that was a typename parameter, not a non-type template parameter as Pratyush addressed — so the issue is broader.  Perhaps CheckTemplateArgument(TemplateTypeParmDecl *, …) needs to be addressed too, e.g. perhaps in this line the original type should be used instead of the canonical type:
>
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/clang/lib/Sema/SemaTemplate.cpp#L6126
>
> That fix, or one like it, would probably solve Oliver’s issue.
>
> More generally there is no reason to be replacing types with their canonical types anywhere in the AST, I believe.

I believe there is - ultimately there's only one implicit
specialization of 'f1' (f1<int>, specifically) in code like this:

template<typename T> void f1() { }
int main() {
  using x = int;
  using y = int;
  f1<x>();
  f1<y>();
}

So the FunctionDecl for 'f1' can't refer to x or y, it has to refer to
'int', right?