[cfe-dev] [analyzer] gdb pretty printers for analyzer specific types

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 5 13:28:45 PDT 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 11:40 AM Balázs Benics <benicsbalazs at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if I would generate the pretty printers at build time from the SVals.def, Symbols.def and Regions.def.
> Just like we generate c++ code using X macros for these classes.
>
> It would be aware of changing those definition files and the build system would regenerate the pretty printers.
>
> Should I code this pretty printer generation in python as well?

Annoyingly that'd mean adding another different directory to load
pretty printers from (in addition to the one already in the source
tree)

When I first added pretty printers (
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-May/100365.html ) I
discussed the possibility of using inline scripts (see option "(2)
annoying inline scripts version") which would avoid the need to add
new load paths (though you'd still have to tweak your gdbinit to allow
autoloading of scripts from your build tree in general I think) - now
that I think about it more, maybe it can be made less annoying than I
think it is. Maybe C++ raw string literals would make it fairly
maintainable to have python in the inline asm? Then the pretty printer
could be generated from .def files straight into the header or its
library implementation (preferably the library implementation - if you
can be sure the object will be pulled in by the linker for any users
who would want access to the pretty printer)?

Maybe worth giving that a shot?