[cfe-dev] Option -mtune

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 26 17:08:59 PDT 2020

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 3:32 PM David Greene via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> James Y Knight via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
> >> Honestly, the whole system needs an overhaul:
> >>

> http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/Behavior-of-mcpu-td4064178.html
> >>
> >> I noticed this odd difference in behavior based on target.  In the end
> >> the answer was, "We want to behave like gcc," but that is not a very
> >> compelling argument to me.  Yes "-m" options are machine-specific, but
> >> giving the same option with the same name different behaviors is
> >> non-intuitive.
> >>

> > As mentioned before, being compatible with GCC is a *huge* advantage for
> > clang. I agree that it's quite unfortunate that the march/mcpu/mtune set
> of
> > options are so divergent in behavior between targets.
>
> But we're already incompatible because we require -target to do
> cross-compiling.  Yes, gcc is not natively a cross compiler so you have
> to do special builds for that so I understand why -target exists.
>
> And what do we mean by "compatible" in this context.  Do we mean the
> options are accepted (they absolutely should be) or do we mean we match
> gcc behavior exactly.

The original proposal of this thread was to remove -mtune, which would
break compatibility even in a non-cross-compiling scenario, where
compatibility exists today.

>   I would submit that we should *not* do the latter
> but rather do something better.

Sure - patches to improve the situation are welcome, I'm sure. Improving
the documentation, implementing -mtune functionality (rather than it just
being a no-op), etc. But the original proposal of the thread, removing
-mtune, seems to break existing compatibility in an unfavorable way.