[cfe-dev] ARM CPU CLI options and examples (was: Option -mtune)

Sjoerd Meijer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 21 09:11:09 PDT 2020

Following up on the -mtune discussion yesterday, I have prepared a draft patch (https://reviews.llvm.org/D78565) that shows how to target different ARM CPU implementations and architecture combinations, for now only 2 M-profile cores.

In the -mtune thread, I mentioned that setting options is non-trivial and I think the Cortex-M55 as documented with examples in D78565 is a good example of that. I.e., it only shows 5 architecture combinations and their corresponding CLI options. Many more architecture combinations are possible, but these 5 combinations are the most likely to be implemented. In the V8-A architecture space, the challenge of many architecture combinations is similar.

My thinking was that it would be valuable to have a listing of architecture combinations and options, so that users can quickly look up an architecture configuration and find its flags to target it. These examples shows usage of this tool (i.e. open-source clang), add puts documentation/examples in the same place as the source, and allows easier edit/reviews and also from non-Arm people. On D78565, Peter raised the question whether this is suited for the Clang Documentation, or if we should move this to some place at arm.com.

So my question is if there are any ideas/preferences/objections for this?

Cheers.