[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues [UPDATED]

Anton Korobeynikov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 20 13:25:49 PDT 2020

> Can we preserve the existing bug numbers if we migrate this way? There are lots of references to "PRxxxxx" in checked in LLVM artifacts and elsewhere in the world, as well as links to llvm.org/PRxxxxx, and if we can preserve all the issue numbers this would ease the transition pain substantially.
Well... I hate to say this, but quite unlikely. Unfortunately, there
were significant changes in GitHub opensource team and these days they
are much less responsive than they used to be during our github
migration. I asked this question several times, and unfortunately,
there is no answer. I will certainly keep trying.

The problem here is there is no way to assign / control issue numbers
at all. They are just automatically assigned in sequential order.
While it might be possible to utilize this while migrating everything
to, say, a special archive project on GitHub, we will not be able to
control the numbers assigned should we migrate the issues one-by-one
or just move from archive to main project.

So, the only viable way seems to be plain big mapping from bugzilla to
github issue numbers without anything simple like "llvm.org/PRxxxxxx
becomes https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/xxxxxx".

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University