[cfe-dev] Option -mtune

Peter Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 20 00:33:44 PDT 2020

I don't think that we could remove -mtune without breaking some builds that support both GCC and Clang with the same script, as -mtune is supported in GCC. As David points out -mtune isn't needed for correctness so ignoring it for at least these types of project seems to be reasonable. An opt-in warning for accepted but ignored options could be an option though.

IIRC We did use to have some support for mtune in AArch64, unfortunately we had to take it out (mea culpa https://reviews.llvm.org/D39179) as it wasn't just affecting micro-architectural features it was including architecture features as well. I think that there is some scope for putting back support for mtune, it would need us to more cleanly separate out the micro-architectural features. The most recent post about this was http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-October/118520.html

Peter