[cfe-dev] Modules, redeclaration chains, and locally-scoped extern declarations

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 27 16:39:54 PDT 2019

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 15:36, Jordan Rose via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> like the most consistent user experience. And that ambiguity error will
>> presumably not appear for a call to sharedFunc(), because
>> (non-redeclaration) lookup for sharedFunc won't find the local extern
>> declaration in 'test'. (But I would not be surprised to see an error if you
>> attempt to redeclare sharedFunc after importing both modules, or if you try
>> to build both headers as part of the same module.)
>>
>> Regardless of whether we accept it, the above program is ill-formed
>> (undefined in C / ill-formed with no diagnostic required in C++), so I
>> would encourage you to limit your reliance on it. I don't think we want to
>> guarantee that such code keeps compiling.
>>
>> One of the consequences of this is that in client.c's context, asking for
>>> the canonical decl for 'sharedFunc' gives me the declaration in ModuleB.
>>> From client.c's perspective, that's *more* useful than giving me the
>>> one in ModuleA, but it's not consistent with the behavior with modules
>>> turned off.
>>>
>>> Any insights to offer? Should I file this at bugs.llvm.org?
>>>

>> We generally don't produce eager diagnostics for conflicts between
>> imported modules, and that's a feature: we want module import to be
>> constant-time, which means we can't diagnose such things eagerly. So for
>> the above program (with no use of sharedFunc), I don't think we should
>> produce a diagnostic.
>>
>> I think the current behavior is largely by design.
>>

>> Thanks for the explanation. There's still weirdness here even if they do
>> have the same types, since the canonical decl is going to be different, and
>> that can have user-visible effects if, say, the local declaration of
>> 'sharedFunc' has an attribute like warn_unused_result. Is that by design?
>> (I made the types different to be provocative and to make the problem
>> obvious.)
>>

> I think at least part of this is a more general issue unrelated to local
> extern declarations. Inheritable attributes are not inherited during
> merging, so if the same declaration appears in two different modules with
> different sets of accumulated attributes at the end of each module, you
> will get surprising behavior.
>

> Fair enough.
>

> I know module loading does make an effort to merge redeclaration chains
>> normally; it's only locally-scoped extern declarations that are being left
>> out.
>>

> Is this issue C-specific? (I could easily believe that we don't properly
> query/update the global scope in this case, and so don't end up merging
> local extern declarations, but I think we do update the translation unit
> DeclContext -- and merge declarations such as the above -- in C++.)
>

> It seems to have the same behavior in both C and C++. That is, in the case
> where the declarations are identical in both source files, walking
> redecls() only ever shows one entry (the one in the top-level module).

I only see the missing declaration in C. Testcase:

#pragma clang module build foo
module foo {}
#pragma clang module contents
#pragma clang module begin foo
void test() {
  extern void f();
}
#pragma clang module end
#pragma clang module endbuild

#pragma clang module build bar
module bar {}
#pragma clang module contents
#pragma clang module begin bar
void f();
#pragma clang module end
#pragma clang module endbuild

#pragma clang module import foo
#pragma clang module import bar

#pragma clang __debug dump f

In C++ mode, I see:

lookup results for f:
FunctionDecl 0xdd52960 prev 0xdd52888
</usr/local/google/home/richardsmith/clang-mono-1/bar.map:4:1, col:8> col:6
imported in bar f 'void ()'

In C mode, I see:

lookup results for f:
FunctionDecl 0xeda8018
</usr/local/google/home/richardsmith/clang-mono-1/bar.map:4:1, col:8> col:6
imported in bar f 'void ()'

(So: in C++ there's a previous declaration, and in C there isn't.)

If I add:

void g() { test(); }

then the definition of test() is imported and the declaration of the local
extern function is properly merged into the redeclaration chain. (I mean,
maybe that's mostly OK for the purpose of compiling: we generally don't
need the local declaration of 'f' unless we need the definition of the
enclosing function. But it is unfortunate that walking the redeclaration
chain misses things; it's not supposed to, and I think some parts of Clang
rely on the redeclaration chain not spontaneously changing after you start
walking it, which could happen here. And in any case for uses of Clang as a
library, walking the redeclaration chain really needs to give the right
answer.)