[cfe-dev] -ftrivial-auto-var-init=pattern vs =uninitialized and union initialization

JF Bastien via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 23 14:36:04 PDT 2019

Hi Vitaly,

Indeed: there are cases where clang happened to honor the standard without intending to (through the magic of memcpy’ing globals), and auto-init=pattern broke this. I got a report about it a while ago and agree it’s an issue, I haven’t had time to fix it. It’s related to what C calls “designated initializers” to initialize structs. The relevant standardese from C17 are in 6.7.9 Initialization (the grammar has “designator” being either “ [ constant-expression ] ” or “ . identifier ”).

The relevant rules are:

“””
Except where explicitly stated otherwise, for the purposes of this subclause unnamed members of objects of structure and union type do not participate in initialization. Unnamed members of structure objects have indeterminate value even after initialization.

If an object that has automatic storage duration is not initialized explicitly, its value is indeterminate. If an object that has static or thread storage duration is not initialized explicitly, then:
— if it has pointer type, it is initialized to a null pointer;
— if it has arithmetic type, it is initialized to (positive or unsigned) zero;
— if it is an aggregate, every member is initialized (recursively) according to these rules, and any padding is initialized to zero bits;
— if it is a union, the first named member is initialized (recursively) according to these rules, and any padding is initialized to zero bits;

The initialization shall occur in initializer list order, each initializer provided for a particular subobject overriding any previously listed initializer for the same subobject; all subobjects that are not initialized explicitly shall be initialized implicitly the same as objects that have static storage duration.

If there are fewer initializers in a brace-enclosed list than there are elements or members of an aggregate, or fewer characters in a string literal used to initialize an array of known size than there are elements in the array, the remainder of the aggregate shall be initialized implicitly the same as objects that have static storage duration.
“””

I had fixed something in https://reviews.llvm.org/D61280 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D61280> but it’s not sufficient.

I don’t think fixing this is giving up: it’s doing what the standard mandates.

Are you interested in fixing it?