[cfe-dev] RFC: abstract serialization

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 19 10:45:46 PDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:29 PM John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> haven’t forgotten an entire node class, but it doesn’t tell us
> >> whether we’ve forgotten a field of that class. We only have one
> >> piece of code that has to get that information right, and that’s
> >> the serialization logic.
> >>
> >> I’d like to propose solving both of these problems in one pass by
> >> introducing a new level of abstraction into the serializer and
> >> deserializer. The basic idea is that we’d write the node-specific
> >> serialization and deserialization code as if it were generating and
> >> consuming some simple JSON-like structured format; it would be
> >> templated to make calls against some abstract physical serialization
> >> layer.
> >>
> >> That is, for code today that looks like this:
> >>
> >> void ASTTypeWriter::VisitVariableArrayType(const VariableArrayType
> >> *T) {
> >>   VisitArrayType(T);
> >>   Record.AddSourceLocation(T->getLBracketLoc());
> >>   Record.AddSourceLocation(T->getRBracketLoc());
> >>   Record.AddStmt(T->getSizeExpr());
> >>   Code = TYPE_VARIABLE_ARRAY;
> >> }
> >>
> >> We’d instead write something more like:
> >>
> >> void AbstractTypeWriter<Serializer>::VisitVariableArrayType(const
> >> VariableArrayType *T) {
> >>   VisitArrayType(T);
> >>   S.addSourceLocation(TYPE_VARIABLE_ARRAY_LBRACKET_LOC,
> >> T->getLBRacketLoc());
> >>   S.addSourceLocation(TYPE_VARIABLE_ARRAY_RBRACKET_LOC,
> >> T->getRBRacketLoc());
> >>   S.addStmt(TYPE_VARIABLE_ARRAY_SIZE_EXPR, T->getSizeExpr());
> >>   S.setNodeKind(TYPE_VARIABLE_ARRAY);
> >> }
> >>
> >> And the Serializer type would be expected to implement a dozen or so
> >> of these addFoo methods: bool, int, string, begin/end array,
> >> begin/end substructure, SourceLocation, types, sub-statements,
> >> declaration references, maybe some cases I’m forgetting.
> >>
> >> On the deserialization side, we would promise to make deserialization
> >> calls in the same order that we make serialization calls so that we
> >> can continue to use a flat representation in our main serialization
> >> path.
> >>
> >> The current deserialization code does not actually check for failure
> >> in deserializing components, and I would probably continue that for
> >> now.
> >>
> >> I haven’t thought very carefully about what these attribute
> >> arguments would be. They could be strings, but an enum might allow
> >> clever metaprograms. Maybe some of this could be tblgen’ed.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > I think the idea has a lot of merit and is definitely worth exploring.
> > Thank you for bringing the idea up! The only concern I have is if the
> > plan is to implement AST dumping through this interface, you should be
> > aware that both the default and JSON dumpers have some odd quirks that
> > may make it difficult to get identical output through another
> > interface.
>
> Thank you.  Do people consider the existing dumper output stable?

Neither format is stable in the usual sense, but when we did the
refactoring for the AST dumping functionality to split it into text
and JSON dumpers, we took special care to only perturb existing tests
if it improved the readability of the output (provided more
information, was contextually in a better location, etc). The
difficulty we ran into was that small changes to the way some nodes
were visited would make some output better while making some output
worse. In those situations, we tried to strive for getting the same
output as the original.

That said, we don't need identical output as a result in every situation.

~Aaron