[cfe-dev] Loading of named modules during preprocessing in c++2a

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 18 11:24:15 PDT 2019

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 03:16, Boris Kolpackov via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> In build2 we scan a preprocessed TU in order to discover named modules
> that are needed to compile said TU. Clang, however, tries to load named
> modules during preprocessing, because, I believe, Clang's module map-
> based modules can also be named and such modules can export macros. This
> poses a problem for build systems that are only attempting to support
> C++20 modules.
>
> Prior to Clang 9 we hacked around this by simply not enabling (i.e., not
> passing -fmodules-ts) modules during preprocessing. However, starting
> with Clang 9, modules are enabled by default in the c++2a mode[1] and
> there doesn't seem to be a way to disable them. Plus, disabling them is
> really a hack rather than a solution: for example, it will fall apart
> once we try to support header units (e.g., via the module mapper).
>
> I would therefore like to propose a "strict" C++20 modules mode either
> as a default or as an opt-in. Another approach (suggested by Richard
> in private communication) is to try to load such a module but to not
> fail if it doesn't exist.

Well, approximately. What I intended to suggest was: perform normal module
name lookup, and then only try to load (or implicitly build) the module if
the lookup succeeds and we find the module name was declared in a module
map file (or slightly more broadly, that it names a header module rather
than a module interface unit).

I see two issues with this approach:

> 1. It would be hard to distinguish intentional and unintentional
>    "absence" of a BMI.
>
> 2. More importantly, the BMI might exist but be out of date.

For the alternative suggestion of checking whether there's a module map
file describing the module (rather than whether there's a BMI), I think
these aren't the right concerns. There is nonetheless a possibility that
(in a misconfigured preprocessing step) the module name lookup could fail
when preprocessing but succeed when compiling. But I don't think that's a
major problem, and we can't avoid the possibility that the preprocessing
step is misconfigured.

On the other hand, the strict mode sounds like a fairly simple solution
> (but I am happy to explore Richard's suggestion if this is preferred).

It's simple, but it provides less functionality and comes at the cost of an
extra configuration switch. I would prefer to not take that option if we
can avoid it.