[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] DebugInfo work contribution and update.

Sourabh Singh Tomar via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 17 23:09:17 PDT 2019

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to drop a note regarding status debug_macro DWARFv5 section.
I've started looking into debug_macro section.
Soon incremental patches will follow.

One query regarding clang behavior for debug_macinfo section -- Now, I
understand that to enable macro information and for gdb able to expand
macros, clang needs "-fdebug-macro". Default is not to emit debug info for
macros.

But consider below dump, is this Okay to have a empty{Size 1 byte}
debug_macinfo section to be emitted ?? when we are not emitting macro info
at all.
Should we stop emitting this ?? this is on purpose.
Note: this behavior persists, even when specifying "-fno-debug-macro"
option explicitly.

sourabh at llvm-slrz2:~/work/dwarf/c_c++/macro$ upstream-clang -ggdb
min_macro.c
sourabh at llvm-slrz2:~/work/dwarf/c_c++/macro$ upstream-llvm-readelf -S a.out
| awk /debug/
  [23] .debug_info       PROGBITS        0000000000000000 0030bc 00005a 00
     0   0  1
  [24] .debug_abbrev     PROGBITS        0000000000000000 003116 000043 00
     0   0  1
  [25] .debug_line       PROGBITS        0000000000000000 003159 000045 00
     0   0  1
  [26] .debug_str        PROGBITS        0000000000000000 00319e 0000a5 01
 MS  0   0  1
  [27] .debug_macinfo    PROGBITS        0000000000000000 003243 000001 00
     0   0  1

sourabh at llvm-slrz2:~/work/dwarf/c_c++/macro$ upstream-llvm-dwarfdump
-debug-macro a.out
a.out:  file format ELF64-x86-64
.debug_macinfo contents:

sourabh at llvm-slrz2:~/work/dwarf/c_c++/macro$ upstream-llvm-readelf
-x.debug_macinfo a.out
Hex dump of section '.debug_macinfo':
0x00000000 00

Thanks,