[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: End-to-end testing

David Greene via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 16 18:05:41 PDT 2019

> I'm inclined to the direction suggested by others that the monorepo is
> orthogonal to this issue and top level tests might not be the right thing.
>
> lldb already does end-to-end testing in its tests, for instance.
>
> Clang does in some tests (the place I always hit is anything that's
> configured API-wise on the MCContext - there's no way to test that
> configuration on the clang boundary, so the only test that we can write is
> one that tests the effect of that API/programmatic configuration done by
> clang to the MCContext (function sections, for instance) - in some cases
> I've just skipped the testing, in others I've written the end-to-end test
> in clang (& an LLVM test for the functionality that uses llvm-mc or
> similar)).

I'd be totally happy putting such tests under clang.  This whole
discussion was spurred by D68230 where some noted that previous
discussion had determined we didn't want source-to-asm tests in clang
and the test update script explicitly forbade it.

If we're saying we want to reverse that decision, I'm very glad!

                    -David