[cfe-dev] Mailing list changes this week

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 15 22:12:48 PDT 2019

On 10/15/2019 09:44 PM, Mehdi AMINI wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com <mailto:tstellar at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/15/2019 09:24 PM, Mehdi AMINI wrote:
>     > Hi Tom.
>     >
>     > One issue with this is that we don't have a clear "ordering" from linear revision numbers from these emails. Have we looked into continuing to generate our own emails per commits instead so that we control the format?
>     >

>     This actually what we are doing, we are listening for github commit events and
>     then generating our own emails based on the data in the event.  We can format
>     the emails how ever we want, and we tried to match the current SVN format exactly.
>

> Ah great!
>

>     Is the some other information you would like to have in the emails to show the
>     ordering?
>

> The only thing I was looking to get was to continue to have a monotonic incrementing integer for the revision instead of the git hash alone: I don't know if `git llvm` has this feature yet but this was discussed a while ago (I don't remember if we just mentioned counting the commits in the repo from the beginning or using an invocation of `git describe` or something derived).

We talked about using `git describe` for this, but this would require that we
add tags to the master branch each time the version number was bumped.  We
discussed this[1] last year, but deferred the decision, since we couldn't get
consensus on the tag name.

-Tom

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-December/128484.html