[cfe-dev] [RFC] Clang SourceLocation overflow

Christof Douma via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 8 10:42:09 PDT 2019

Hi Richard, Paul and other.

Thanks for the input so far. I wanted to point out that it’s not our code-base. Rather, we’re seeing more use of the LLVM technology in the automotive market and as usual we’re faced with existing code bases that are tried and tested with other toolchains (gcc or others) and when LLVM comes along things don’t always work directly.

We’ve suggested better ways of structuring their code and your suggestions are certainly good input. However, legacy code is especially sticky in any market that has to handle ‘safety’ concerns, like automotive, aerospace and medical markets. Code changes are pretty expensive in those fields. So while I hope that over time we see more sensible coding structures, I don’t expect that to happen any time soon. In the mean time, we’re searching for a solution for this coding pattern that doesn’t play well with clang.

Hope that gave some more background of where this question comes from.

Do all options that were suggested by Mikhail really require fundamental restructuring of major parts of clang? This surprised me, I had expected that the option 2 to be possible without a complete overhaul. (2 is “Track until an overflow occurs after that make the lexer output the <invalid location> special value for all subsequent tokens.”) Not nice user experience but maybe doable? I was hoping there was something slightly better that still works without a major restructuring (maybe something that at least gives a rough location or something that only gives the location of the error and not the include stack under an option or using some kind of heuristic to detect that things go haywire).

As an alternative, I was curious if it would be possible and acceptable to make the switch between 32-bit and 64-bit location tracking a build-time/cmake decision? I’ve not done any estimation on the memory size growth, so maybe this is a dead end.

Thanks,
Christof