[cfe-dev] How to build a clang-tool out of the build tree?

Andrzej Warzynski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 14 01:14:42 PST 2019

Hello Laurent,

Have you tried the pre-build packages for Ubuntu or Darwin? I'm using
them for my out-of-tree tutorial:

https://github.com/banach-space/llvm-tutor

I'm not using LibTooling and LibASTMatchers myself, but from what I can
see they are shipped in Homebrew packages for LLVM 9:

brew install llvm at 9

I haven't checked on Ubuntu. This is how you can install the packages
there (for Ubuntu Bionic):

wget -O - https://apt.llvm.org/llvm-snapshot.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-add-repository "deb http://apt.llvm.org/bionic/
llvm-toolchain-bionic-9.0 main" sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y llvm-9 llvm-9-dev llvm-9-tools clang-9

In the past I hit similar issue - not being able to build LLVM in
Travis-CI. Fortunately for me, the packages for Ubuntu and Darwin worked
fine. Windows is a bit trickier. Speaking of building LLVM using free CI
systems, I am yet to try https://drone.io/.

-Andrzej