[cfe-dev] Two questions about address_space attribute

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 12 08:55:45 PST 2019

On 12 Nov 2019, at 11:16, Liu, Yaxun (Sam) via cfe-dev wrote:
> + John Matt
>
> My comments are below.
>
> Sam

I can’t actually speak for the C committee, but I’ll try to answer
anyway.  As I understand it, there’s two main things.

The first is that data pointers may already be in a different address
space from function pointers.  Standard C does not actually allow
function pointers to be converted to data pointers and vice-versa;
that’s an extension, albeit a basically universal one and indeed one
mandated by POSIX because of `dlsym`.  Harvard architectures put code in
a separate address space, which is often significantly larger than the
address space for data, and C supports that.  So while it’s not
abstractly illogical for the code space to be split into address spaces,
the idea of applying the *same* address spaces to both data and function
pointers isn’t totally aligned with C.

The second is just that the traditional hardware-supported uses of
address spaces are centered around data, not code.  A processor might
have different instructions to load/store from different address spaces,
and handling those different address spaces correctly and efficiently is
important to expose in a systems programming language.  While processors
often also have different instructions for e.g. near/far calls, this is
rarely useful to expose in the programming language, since it usually
only comes up in e.g. the userspace/kernelspace boundary, which is so
important and fiddly that’s it’s usually written in assembly anyway.

> I think we may allow function to be in a non-default address space.
> The issue is that there may be lots of places in clang or llvm
> assuming function in default address space, which needs to be fixed.

Yes, I think LLVM might currently assume a single address space for all
code.  I would want to see signs of progress on that front before
agreeing to an extension of address spaces to function pointer types.

John.