[cfe-dev] An unlimited-width integer type

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 8 00:25:32 PST 2019

Hi,

This is roughly the model that Smalltalk provides for integers, and I
did implement a Smalltalk compiler using LLVM some time ago...

A few thoughts come to mind:

1. C and related languages encode fixed-width types in their abstract
machine (in C, the width of types is baked by the time the preprocessor
has run for a lot of code, which is why the EFI bytecode design was such
a bad idea).  Your VM wouldn't be useable from any existing LLVM front
ends without some significant changes, which is not necessarily a reason
*not* to do this, but may limit the utility.

2. LLVM has fixed-width types and intrinsics for checking overflow.  If
you expect that *most* of the operations in your source language(s) will
fit into an LLVM fixed-width integer type that corresponds to a machine
register, then you may find that LLVM does quite a good job of
optimising your fast paths (though leaves your slow paths untouched) if
you implement a compiler for your abstract machine *to* LLVM.  Note that
deferring overflow checks for as long as possible and failing back to
the fast path to redo calculations will generate better code for this.

3. If you're willing to do some extra work, you could try introducing an
iUnlimited type and see how invasive the change is.  There are a number
of places where optimisations query bit widths and other places where
APInt and friends encode a fixed width for a particular compile-time
evaluation.  There are probably other places where known-bits analyses
could allow you to transform iUnlimited to a fixed-width type.  You
could then provide a default lowering that mapped them to pointers and
calls to a bignum library, so existing back ends could use them.  I can
imagine that this would be useful to some front ends that would prefer
to defer lowering of variable-width integers until after some
optimisations.  I can't guarantee that this would be something that
upstream would accept, but I'd love to see someone try the experiment.

4. You may find that doing this in MLIR works better.  MLIR has an open
type system, so you can add a new type for your integers quite easily,
though then you won't benefit from any LLVM optimisations.  It's not
clear that you could necessarily use the generic LLVM backend
infrastructure though, so a direct translation from MLIR to your
bytecode may preferable.

David