[cfe-dev] building the example plugin "PrintFunctionNames"

Onur Kulaksizoglu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 5 12:20:41 PST 2019

Hi everyone,

For a project in the university we decided to build a plugin for
Clang. For this I tried to build the example plugin
"PrintFunctionNames".

https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangPlugins.html
This tutorial in the website builds the plugin I mentioned which is
on: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/master/clang/examples/PrintFunctionNames

Both the github readme and the tutorial mentions "make" to build the
plugin as a first step, but there is no makefile in the folder and I'm
confused about how to build the project.

When I run cmake for the folder it doesn't work because things like
"add_llvm_library" are not defined.

When I install Clang with CMake and make install, I again didn't see a
".so" file as mentioned in the tutorials.

We want to build and run this plugin so we can modify its working
build files to create our project. So general advice for building a
plugin can be useful too.

thanks,
Onur Kulaksizoglu