[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Expose user provided vector function for auto-vectorization.

Finkel, Hal J. via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 29 12:16:36 PDT 2019

On 5/29/19 1:52 PM, Philip Reames wrote:
> On 5/28/19 7:55 PM, Finkel, Hal J. wrote:
>> On 5/28/19 3:31 PM, Philip Reames via cfe-dev wrote:
>>> I generally like the idea of having support in IR for vectorization of
>>> custom functions.  I have several use cases which would benefit from this.
>>>
>>> I'd suggest a couple of reframings to the IR representation though.
>>>
>>> First, this should probably be specified as metadata/attribute on a
>>> function declaration.  Allowing the callsite variant is fine, but it
>>> should primarily be a property of the called function, not of the call
>>> site.  Being able to specify it once per declaration is much cleaner.
>> I agree. We should support this both on the function declaration and on
>> the call sites.
>>

>>> Second, I really don't like the mangling use here.  We need a better way
>>> to specify the properties of the function then it's mangled name.  One
>>> thought to explore is to directly use the Value of the function
>>> declaration (since this is metadata and we can do that), and then tie
>>> the properties to the function declaration in some way?  Sorry, I don't
>>> really have a specific suggestion here.
>> Is the problem the mangling or the fact that the mangling is
>> ABI/target-specific? One option is to use LLVM's mangling scheme (the
>> one we use for intrinsics) and then provide some backend infrastructure
>> to translate later.
> Well, both honestly.  But mangling with a non-target specific scheme is
> a lot better, so I might be okay with that.   Good idea.

I liked your idea of directly encoding the signature in the metadata,
but I think that we want to continue to use attributes, and not
metadata, and the options for attributes seem more limited - unless we
allow attributes to take metadata arguments - maybe that's an
enhancement worth considering.

  -Hal

>>    -Hal
>>

>>> Philip