[cfe-dev] Controlling instantiation of templates from PCH

Stephan Bergmann via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 29 01:39:53 PDT 2019

On 28/05/2019 21:38, Lubos Lunak via cfe-dev wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 of May 2019, Nico Weber wrote:
>> A question independent to the other discussions happening on this thread:
>> Since you're comparing build times between MSVC and clang, do you use
>> clang-cl in Windows builds?
>
>   We do have support for clang-cl AFAIK, but I don't know how much it's used.
> The release binaries are built with MSVC and I think most developers are on
> Unix-likes anyway. I've never used clang-cl myself.

(I use clang-cl, but only to run LO's Clang plugin also on Windows, to
catch issues in Windows-specific LO code.  My build explicitly disables
use of PCH, for one because clang-cl didn't support it yet back when I
set this up, for another because my fear would be that PCH negatively
affects the quality of the plugin diagnostics by increasing the set of
included files, and for yet another because build times are not that
relevant for my occasional clang-cl builds, anyway.)