[cfe-dev] clang-format/libtooling for moving comments

Jason Newton via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 23 02:34:45 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I have a codebase changing code documentation and comment practices which
I'd like to adjust automatically for the most part.  The changes look easy,
and certainly automatable, but I haven't figured out how to do it with
libtooling

I'd like to transform

struct MyStruct{
    int field;                                           //docline, at
varying distances to the right
};

struct MyStruct{
    //docline
    int field;
};

In summary, this is about moving a comment following any declaration on the
same line to the previous line at the same indentation level.

Related, I'd like to change many variations of

/**
*  comments
*/

///
/// comments
///

Is there an existing pathway for these transformations or active work?
Anything close I can get a start from?

FYI actively using clang-format.

Thanks,
Jason