[cfe-dev] Filing bug-report with a attachment that is larger than 1MB?

degski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 6 05:50:06 PDT 2019

On Mon, 6 May 2019 at 12:26, <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:

> I understand you are irritated by the 1MB maximum.  It's possible we could
> get the admins to increase that, but it rarely is a problem in practice.

Well, that would be the best solution, isn't it? I mean, 1MB, my desktop
background-jpg is more than 1MB. I always use trunk (from the snapshot
builds) and encounter ICE's regularly. Most of them are triggered by me
f'in up C++ syntax, so I let those pass [as in not report] (clang f'ed up,
but so did I). But this one is clearly in the compiler-bug realm. The code
compiles with VC and I don't see any reason why it [clang] shouldn't
[compile it correctly].

>  Instead of creduce, I would first look at reducing the header-file
> overhead.

I do dual-boot my lap-top with Fedora-30 [I'm rather nix-green, though], I
had a look, and they [dnf] don't carry creduce either.

I had already reduced them to a max, but it pulls in this lib
https://github.com/bluescarni/mppp , as you could see [in the issues], I
raised it as an issue as well, there. The work-around is simple, but that
does not take away from the fact clang-cl has one bug :-) .

> Can you reduce the number of headers in your source?  Windows is
> particularly prone to pulling in boatloads of headers that you don't
> actually need. If you do need all the headers in your original source, but
> you are including say <windows.h> along with everything else, there are
> some preprocessor symbols you can set to reduce that overhead and so (we
> hope) get the preprocessed source down to where you can file the bug.

If the clang project wants people to report bugs, it should not be
necessary to jump through hoops. Most of the 'volume' of this file consists
of annotations [comments] by clang itself, they are all kind of comments in
fact, they seem useful, trying to get rid of them seems counter-productive.

But, since I still would like to 'contribute' my bug and since getting a
bigger disk [to allow for bigger attachements] is not possible, I could
host the files as gists on my github-account, or I could put them on
paste-bin. Could that be a solution?

degski
--
*Microsoft, please kill Paint3D*