[cfe-dev] RFC: Place libs in Clang-dedicated directories (affects openmp, libcxx, libunwind, compiler-rt)

Petr Hosek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 8 16:12:45 PST 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 3:37 PM Joel E. Denny <jdenny.ornl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019, 6:21 PM Petr Hosek <phosek at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Joel E. Denny <jdenny.ornl at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Petr,

>>> libunwind, libc++abi and libc++ output to lib/<target> and include/ in
>>> LLVM_ENABLE_PER_TARGET_RUNTIME_DIR build, feedback is welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks for working on that.  Sorry, I was traveling and didn't have a
>>> chance to take a look before you pushed.
>>>
>>> So, if LLVM_ENABLE_PER_TARGET_RUNTIME_DIR=True, then all libraries in
>>> lib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu are now early in my library search path.
>>> Is that right?
>>>
>>> One of the objections to previous patches I've seen is that promoting
>>> non-Clang-dedicated directories (that is, their names don't contain
>>> "/clang/") is not safe for backward compatibility because that can
>>> affect library search order for system libraries not installed by
>>> Clang.  Doesn't your patch have that issue?
>>>

>> I believe so. Would the alternative be inserting a clang/ component, i.e.
>> lib/clang/x86_64-linux-gnu?
>>

> It sounds sufficient to me.  Just to have something to compare to, there
> was also an example layout here:
>
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D30733#697781
>
> I'm not sure whether that's any better.

Personally, I prefer using triples rather than nested directories. It's
what Clang already uses setting the target and it's also used by other
toolchains and systems.

> I could make that change, my patch has been reverted because it broke
>> Windows bots so I can address this in the reland.
>>

>> Another alternative would be to avoid relying on -L for libraries like
>> libunwind, libc++abi and libc++ which will always have the issue of being a
>> subject to collisions and instead teach the driver to use a full path just
>> like it does for compiler-rt runtimes, but that's a dramatic change.
>>

> What's the advantage over a Clang- dedicated directory that's early in the
> search path?

AFAIK the motivation for using full paths for compiler-rt runtimes compared
to e.g. -lgcc_s was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XcodeGhost which relied
on injecting -L to make linker pick up different library than the one
shipped with Xcode.