[cfe-dev] RFC: Place libs in Clang-dedicated directories (affects openmp, libcxx, libunwind, compiler-rt)

Joel E. Denny via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 8 14:54:45 PST 2019

Hi Petr,

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 3:11 AM Petr Hosek <phosek at chromium.org> wrote:

> I've implemented https://reviews.llvm.org/D59013 which moves libunwind, libc++abi and libc++ output to lib/<target> and include/ in LLVM_ENABLE_PER_TARGET_RUNTIME_DIR build, feedback is welcome.

Thanks for working on that.  Sorry, I was traveling and didn't have a
chance to take a look before you pushed.

So, if LLVM_ENABLE_PER_TARGET_RUNTIME_DIR=True, then all libraries in
lib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu are now early in my library search path.
Is that right?

One of the objections to previous patches I've seen is that promoting
non-Clang-dedicated directories (that is, their names don't contain
"/clang/") is not safe for backward compatibility because that can
affect library search order for system libraries not installed by
Clang.  Doesn't your patch have that issue?

Thanks.

Joel