[cfe-dev] Clang Intermediate Language

Chris Lattner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 2 09:10:51 PST 2019

Hi Dalas,

If you’re interested in swift specifically, it would make sense to ask on the swift dev forum.  There is a lot of thought and time that went into the design of SIL.

More generally though, designing an IR like this is all about deciding what level of representational abstraction you need, and this is principally driven by what sorts of optimizations you want to do, and what sort of software abstractions you want to simplify the lowering from one level to another.

In the case of the former, Clang has its “CFG” data structure, but otherwise lacks a great representation for doing language-specific dataflow based analysis and optimization.  We should be able to do things like reference count optimizations of std::shared_ptr, should be able to do advanced temporary-elimination optimizations which only appear after inlining, should be able to do STL specific optimizations like inserting “reserve” calls before loops that fill in data structures, etc.

On the lowering side of things, Clang’s CodeGen is monolithic, very complicated, and includes lots of concerns mixed up.  The most egregious of which is that the C/C++ ABI lowering stuff all happens in one place, and there is no good way to factor this logic across the LLVM ecosystem, other than generating C++ ASTs (or writing thunks in C++ and compiling them to IR with clang, then inlining them, etc).  This makes me really sad, and is something that a nice CIL could fix or at least drastically improve.

-Chris