[cfe-dev] Building lldb on linux: cannot find -lcxxabi_shared

Jayvee Neumann via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 17 02:01:43 PDT 2019

Hello together,

I downloaded the newest llvm repository and tried to build llvm and lldb.
For that I used the following line:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" ../llvm -DLLVM_LLDB_BUILD=ON

then I started the building process with calling

make

This went well for the first 50%, but then this message was printed and the
build process was halted:

[51%] linking CXX shared library ../../../lib/libc++.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcxxabi_shared
projects/libcxx/src/CMakeFiles/cxx_shared.dir/build.make:952: recipe for
target 'lib/libc++.so.1.0' failed

I do not know what my mistake is.  I installed libc++abi-dev in hope that
it might help, but it did not. A file whose name contained cxxabi_shared
cannot be found in the file system. Is there a package dependency I missed?

Kind regards
Jayvee