[cfe-dev] RFC: Adding vscale vector types to C and C++

JinGu Kang via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 7 03:44:07 PDT 2019

> These are all negative reasons for (1) being the best approach.
A more positive justification is that (1) seems to meet the requirements
in the most efficient way possible.  The vectors can use their natural
(native) representation, and the type system prevents uses that would
make that representation problematic.

Also, the approach of starting with very restricted types and then
specifically allowing certain things should be more future-proof
and interact better with other (unseen) language extensions.  By default,
any language extension would treat the new types like other incomplete
types and choose conservatively-correct behavior.  It would then be
possible to relax the rules if this default behavior turns out to be
too restrictive.

I wondered we can define the restriction of this type well on C/C++ standard. From my personal opinion, this RFC suggests clear concept. I am +1000 for (1). Additionally, for the variable length array, I agree with your opinion. One thing I would like to mention is that we could use 'dynamic_alloc' for the local variable of this type like other variable sized objects. If we use it, I guess we don't need to change backend code.

Thanks,
JinGu Kang