[cfe-dev] [Analyzer] Equality of pointers

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 5 05:23:20 PDT 2019

Hi!

This is an excellent point and it is not easy to solve. One of the reason
why your original idea is hard to implement is the following. Let's look at
the code snippet below:
void f(int *p, int *q) {
  int *p2 = p + 2;
  if (p == q) {
    // Here we learned something new about p2 as well.
    // So we might need to update all the symbolic expressions and
bindings, not just p.
  }
}

I think your second idea should work well, but I have no idea about the
performance implications. As a starting point we could implement your
second solution and do some benchmarks both performance wise and looking at
the results from some open source projects to see what happens to the false
positive rate.

Out of curiosity, do we have the same problems with invalidations?

I am sure Artem will have some more to add but as far as I know he is busy
with WWDC this week.

Regards,
Gabor