[cfe-dev] RFC: Improving Clang's FileManager
Alex L via cfe-dev
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 31 12:29:57 PDT 2019
As it stands right now, Clang's FileManager doesn't model file entries with
multiple names correctly. Whenever the `getFile` method is called with a
path it hasn't seen before, it will return a FileEntry whose name is
guaranteed to be that path. However, this guarantee is lost whenever a
symlink file that points to original path is opened using `getFile`, as the
`name` of the FileEntry is overwritten with the symlink path. This happens
because the FileManager uniques the FileEntries using inodes, which means
that symlinks always get the same file entry as the original file.
I would like to fix this issue as it's blocking clang-scan-deps from
reusing the FileManager across multiple invocations. Here's my idea:
- Return FileEntryRef that stores the FileEntry * and a Name.
- Don't store the Name in the FileEntry (keep the RealPathName) still.
- A comparison between FileEntryRef will compare the pointer values of
FileEntries, so the code that compares the pointer values right now can
still compare two FileEntryRefs with the equivalent result (important for
- DenseMaps will still mostly use the FileEntry * values to preserve the
existing behavior which expects one FileEntry per inode.
Additionally to fixing the issue described above, Harlan (CCed) and I would
like to also perform the following minor cleanups and improvements:
- Start using error_code/ErrorOr for FileManager for improved API.
- Get rid of the MemorizeStatCalls stat cache, which isn't actually used
right now by Clang (probably a bug)!
- Cache the VFS stat value in the FileEntryRef itself, so that the
FileManager can actually have proper caching that works.
Please let me know if you have any feedback. I'm hoping to post a patch for
FileEntryRef sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the cfe-dev