[cfe-dev] RFC: Clang-Misexpect Proposal

Paul Kirth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 15:06:05 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 6:31 AM Michael Kruse <cfe-dev at meinersbur.de> wrote:

> Sounds like a useful tool.

Thanks! I certainly hope it will be.

> Could it be enough for clang to emit warnings in PGO mode when it
> detects a mismatch between collected profile data and
> __builtin_expect() ?

You are right: it might be sufficient to simply gate these warnings behind
a flag in the PGO pipeline. I think there is a good argument for doing it
this way. In fact, it's how my prototype works right now, so we have
certainly considered this option.

However, I think it will still be desirable to have a standalone tool that
doesn't require the full compilation pipeline. My understanding was that
clang-tools are often aimed at this exact use-case: i.e. a custom driver
and partial compilation pipeline.

Another important point is that compiler warnings are, by and large,
accurate. Our approach to identifying these mismatches is subject to some
imprecision due to a deficiency in the collected profile. When we issue a
warning in clang-misexpect, it means one of two things: (i) your annotation
is incorrect, or (ii) your profile data is insufficient. While it at least
signals to the developer that investigation is warranted, it is a somewhat
unsatisfactory feedback. I think our best effort warnings are a better fit
for a clang-tool because of that. To me, warnings in the main compiler have
a feeling of more significance and a higher burden of correctness. For
something less precise or not generally applicable, a clang-tool appears to
be the right place to implement this. This seems to be consistent with
existing tools, like clang-tidy, that enable more warnings/diagnostics than
are available in the main compiler.

That being said, we're happy to take feedback from the community. So if the
general consensus is that this should be part of the PGO pipeline, then we
can rescope our proposal to only add a new flag to clang.

Or maybe the right thing to do is to have both? I'm not exactly sure, which
is one of the reasons we made this RFC.

Paul Kirth