[cfe-dev] Clang plugin help

John Brawn via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 17 04:28:46 PDT 2019

If you're using cmake and Visual Studios on Windows, then you need to:
* Add -DLLVM_EXPORT_SYMBOLS_FOR_PLUGINS=ON to the cmake command. Due to
     the way dynamic linking works on Windows the symbols that the plugin needs have to
     be explicitly exported from clang, and this isn't done by default. (Using
     -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON would be a better solution, but last I checked it didn't
     work with Visual Studio.)
* For the example plugins to build you need to make sure you run cmake with
    -DCLANG_BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON, as it's off by default.
With that the example plugins should build as part of the default target when running
make. If you see in the cmake output the message "Loadable modules not supported on
this platform" then that means that something has caused plugins to be disabled.

John