[cfe-dev] Many .c files as input to scan-build

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 12 16:13:52 PDT 2019

The problem you're describing is known as "cross translation unit
analysis". The Static Analyzer is part of Clang, and the primary purpose
of Clang is to compile one translation unit at a time, so the Static
Analyzer inherits the same limitation.

Doing "unity builds" is one way around this problem. This wouldn't scale
to huge projects and it's not that trivial to concatenate all the files,
depending on the build system (the project may use freshly compiled
executables to autogenerate source code for subsequent passes or compile
the same source code for different architectures).

Note that even if you do a unity build, the time it takes for the Static
Analyzer to perform analysis of a certain quality would grow
non-linearly (in fact, "exponentially" would way more accurate). Even
though all of the source code is available, making proper use of this
information to achieve analysis quality similar to that of a smaller
codebase would be impossible. You will be paying with loss of coverage,
the analyzer will give up sooner and only find more shallow bugs.

There's an effort to perform cross-translation-unit analysis through
ASTImporter - the same facility that supports executing arbitrary
expressions in LLDB.This allows importing only small chunks of the
program as needed without constructing a whole-program AST, but
generally i feel it's not really that much better than unity builds. See
CTU threads on this mailing list. They report success when it comes to
overall usefulness of the Static Analyzer, so i guess it's worth it to
think in that direction, but it's most likely less worth it than using
more expensive and sophisticated but more scalable techniques such as
summary-based analysis.