[cfe-dev] [RFC] Easier source-to-source transformations with clang tooling

Yitzhak Mandelbaum via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 28 10:05:44 PST 2019

Jonas, Joel,

I would like to eventually support easy pipelining of transformations.
Jonas -- to your example, I would like for you to be able to express both
transformations as Transformer rules and then ask Transformer to serialize
them into one combined rule that can be used as a clang-tidy.  As for how
and when:

* how: based on discussions with Sam McCall, it seems like we might be able
to integrate with Clang’s “preamble” support (used by libclang/clangd) or
(more forward looking) to integrate with the modules support.  Either one
should allows us to efficiently recompile from a change.  A crazier idea
would be to consider an alternative AST which is designed for efficient
modification.  However, this latter approach would involve a larger
community discussion.

* when: that very much depends on who's interested in working on the
problem.  On my own, I don't think I'll get to it before late March.