[cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding a different mode of "where clang spends time" reporting (timeline/flamegraph style)

Aras Pranckevicius via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 13 22:29:46 PST 2019

> while a command-line switch to enable such timing traces is good, it
> should be noted that llvm xray exists,
> and it can nicely produce this "Chrome Tracing format output", so i
> almost wonder if simply building clang
> with that instrumentation would be better overall, if not for the ease
> of adoption.

I'm not familiar much with Xray.

>From a quick glance, it seems to only exist on Linux (my own use case at
work is: 50/50 split between Windows & Mac, rarely if ever use Linux --
mostly because the main platforms that we work on are Windows or Mac based).

And then I don't know what's the overhead of having clang with Xray
compiled in. Would it be low enough to have it there on by default?

--
Aras Pranckevičius
work: http://unity3d.com