[cfe-dev] Renaming the install-clang-headers target

Dimitry Andric via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 25 10:42:34 PST 2019

On 25 Feb 2019, at 16:13, Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/21/2019 11:24 PM, Dimitry Andric wrote:

>>> I would do both, announce it to the list and add an entry to the
>>> release notes.  I don't think anything else is required,
>>> because this target is probably not used that much anyway.
>>
>> I use it, to create minimal versions of clang, e.g. just the clang executable and the required resource headers.  That is very convenient for bisecting, and way less bloated than a full installation.  That said, I don't have any strong feelings either way: a new target would be easier for me, but it is indeed less consistent.
>>

> Does the clang target depend on install-clang-headers?  It seems like it
> should.

Well, the "clang" target is only for building the actual clang executable, while "install-clang" installs it.  This is similar for other targets, like "lld" and "install-lld", so I wouldn't change it.

I guess "install-clang-headers" was always a bit of an exceptional case, because it does not install any clang API headers, but the set of internal compiler headers (which is fairly tightly matched to the exact revision of the clang executable).  It would seem to be least disruptive to just add a new install-xxx target for installing the clang API headers, for example "install-clang-api-headers".

-Dimitry