[cfe-dev] Implementing OpenMP function variants

Doerfert, Johannes via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 18 11:25:13 PST 2019

On 12/18, John McCall wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2019, at 11:16, Doerfert, Johannes wrote:

> > > Is it always immediately decidable when parsing a reference to a
> > > function
> > > which variant should be used, or is it sometimes dynamic or at least
> > > delayed?
> >
> > For now, which means OpenMP 5.0 and TR8, it is conceptually immediately
> > decidable. It only depends on compilation parameters, e.g., the target
> > triple, and the lexical context.
> >
> > > How is this expected to interact with C++ overloading?  Can you
> > > independently declare variants of each overload?
> >
> > While the standard is not specific on this, I don't see why not.
> >
> > I tried to summarize what the standard says yesterday [0]:
> >
> > OpenMP basically says, if you have a call to a (base)function* that has
> > variants with contexts that match at the call site, call the variant
> > with the highest score. The variants are specified by a variant-func-id,
> > which is a base language identifier or C++ template-id. For C++, the
> > variant declaration is identified by *performing the base language
> > lookup rules on the variant-func-id with arguments that correspond to
> > the base function argument types*.
> >
> > * However you figured out that the base function is the one called in
> >   the first place.
> >
> > [0] https://reviews.llvm.org/D71241#1788003
> >
> > > How does this interact with nested scopes?  If all variants are
> > > unacceptable
> > > for the use context, is it like the declaration just doesn’t exist,
> > > and so
> > > lookup continues to outer scopes?  Or is this impossible because
> > > there
> > > always has to be a non-variant declaration in the current scope?
> >
> > The latter. As mentioned above, you first find the "normal" call target
> > and then apply the variant logic from there.
> >

> > > My immediate intuition is that, assuming the semantics are always
> > > static and
> > > that there’s always a non-variant function, this should be handled
> > > as a sort
> > > of second level of overload resolution.  The variant declarations
> > > should be
> > > considered more-or-less independent functions; they are not
> > > redeclarations
> > > of the original.  5.1-type variants should be hidden from lookup, so
> > > that
> > > only the original function is found.  When we resolve a use of a
> > > declaration
> > > with variants we then pick the appropriate variant and treat the
> > > declaration
> > > as if it was using that originally.  The fact that we resolved it
> > > via a
> > > variant should be recorded in the FoundDecl, which would now have an
> > > additional possible state: we could have looked through a using
> > > declaration,
> > > and we could have resolved a variant.  This shouldn’t be a problem
> > > for
> > > FoundDecl.

> [...]

In 5.1, `begin/end declare variant` multi-version a function basically
the same way as `__attribute__((target(...)))` does. The condition can
be more than only a target though. (I mispoke earlier, it can include
call site context information). So we have multiple versions of a
function, let's say "sin", and depending on the compilation target,
e.g., are we compiling for nvptx or not, ans call site context, e.g.,
are we syntacitally inside a parallel region, we pick on of them. The
prototype for this reuses almost all of the multi-version code that
enables the target attribute as it seemed to be the natural fit.