[cfe-dev] Implementing OpenMP function variants

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 17 23:08:22 PST 2019

On 13 Dec 2019, at 10:08, Finkel, Hal J. wrote:
> Richard, John, et al.,
>
> Let me top-post here quickly to add that this question comes directly
> from a disagreement about the application of Clang's design principle
> of
> keeping the AST faithful to the source code (and I suspect that such a
> question may be of wider interest to the community).
>
> Johannes has summarized the OpenMP language semantics below (thanks,
> Johannes!).
>
> The relevant review thread is here: https://reviews.llvm.org/D71241
>
> Alexey's position is that, because the source code contains what
> appears
> to be a call to the base() function, the AST should always reflect
> that
> fact by having getCallee() return a reference to base(), and we should
> lower the call to the selected variant using logic in CodeGen. Some
> other member function should be used by AST-level tools to retrieve
> the
> actually-called variant. This has the benefit that the primary AST
> representation is independent of the compilation target and other
> relevant OpenMP context.
>
> My position is that, like other cases where we perform overload
> resolution and specializaton selection (including host/device
> overloads
> in CUDA), we should resolve the variant selected in Sema, and
> getCallee() should return a reference to the function that will
> actually
> be called (even if that function has a different name from the name
> used
> syntactically to form the call expression). This will ensure that
> static-analysis tools see the correct call-site <-> callee
> relationship.
> We should, I think, also keep a reference to the original OpenMP base
> function in the AST, but some other member function should be used to
> retrieve it.
>
> We say that we keep Clang's AST faithful to the source code, but how
> best apply that philosophy in this case is now under debate.

Is it always immediately decidable when parsing a reference to a
function which variant should be used, or is it sometimes dynamic or at
least delayed?

How is this expected to interact with C++ overloading?  Can you
independently declare variants of each overload?

How does this interact with nested scopes?  If all variants are
unacceptable for the use context, is it like the declaration just
doesn’t exist, and so lookup continues to outer scopes?  Or is this
impossible because there always has to be a non-variant declaration in
the current scope?

My immediate intuition is that, assuming the semantics are always static
and that there’s always a non-variant function, this should be handled
as a sort of second level of overload resolution.  The variant
declarations should be considered more-or-less independent functions;
they are not redeclarations of the original.  5.1-type variants should
be hidden from lookup, so that only the original function is found.
When we resolve a use of a declaration with variants we then pick the
appropriate variant and treat the declaration as if it was using that
originally.  The fact that we resolved it via a variant should be
recorded in the FoundDecl, which would now have an additional possible
state: we could have looked through a using declaration, and we could
have resolved a variant.  This shouldn’t be a problem for FoundDecl.

John.