[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] clang and -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1

James Y Knight via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 3 12:01:55 PST 2019

The glibc implementation of FORTIFY_SOURCE is indeed not compatible with
clang, because it uses compiler extensions which were trivial to implement
in GCC's architecture, but difficult/impossible in clang's.

However, clang does provide other mechanisms by which the same results can
be achieved.

If anyone is interested in glibc fully supporting fortify mode with clang,
way to achieve this would be to look at the implementation in the bionic
libc's headers, and then implement the same technique in glibc.