[cfe-dev] [GSoC 2019] Apply the Clang Static Analyzer to LLVM-based projects - final report

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 27 18:56:46 PDT 2019

+Simon because he has enthusiastically looked at the state of things
just before we started:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-May/132196.html

Also +Devin.

Also, Simon: do you know how does https://llvm.org/reports/scan-build/
usually get updated? It doesn't seem to be in the www repo and it's now
super outdated, given the amount of change that Csaba unleashed upon us
this summer.

I suggest that from now on we pay more attention to these reports,
because even though there are still a lot of them, and still definitely
not all of them constitute real crashes, they make *much* more sense
today than they used to some three months ago. Almost all warnings are
actionable and promote better, safer code.

I just spent 2-3 hours cleaning up ~20 warnings on the static analyzer
itself, which included writing a test for one real crash that i found
that way (and attempting to do the same for a few more potential
crashes). The results are in https://reviews.llvm.org/D66847. My
(heavily biased) opinion is that it was worth every minute and i
basically encourage everybody to try this out again.