[cfe-dev] New warnings work, improvements to default warning behavior

Richard Trieu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 9 19:15:56 PDT 2019

I have been working on several patches to improve Clang warnings.  The
changes touch warnings that are in the default warning set or in common
build configurations.  I am posting these patches so interested people can
test the warning behavior before they committed.  In my testing, these
warnings have caught many interesting and hard to find bugs already.

I've combined all the patches into one for easy testing:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D66048

Individual patches, spread out:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D66043 - New precedence warning for mixing bitwise
and/or with conditional operator
https://reviews.llvm.org/D66044 - -Wtautological-overlap-compare to work on
negative numbers
https://reviews.llvm.org/D66045 - Better detection of same value operands
for tautological warnings
https://reviews.llvm.org/D66046 - New warning
-Wtautological-bitwise-compare to check for non-zero value bitwise-or in
bool context

These are improvements to -Wparentheses, -Wtautological-compare, and
-Wtautological-overlap-compare with new warning
-Wtautological-bitwise-compare.