[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Applying fixes automatically in CSA as it done in Clang Tidy

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 15 08:37:22 PDT 2019

I'm still curious though - how can a path-sensitive check suggest
anything without a high risk of suggesting a breaking or incorrect
change? There are just too many ways of manipulating execution paths and
events on these paths and it's very hard to figure out which specific
modification would be the right one.

Eg., suppose you've found a division by zero bug:

   01 int foo(int x) {
   02   int y = 0;        // note: `y` is initialized to 0
   03   return x / y;   // warning: division by zero!
   04 }

What would be the fixit that you'd suggest:

   (a) initialize `y` with 1 instead,
   (b) insert `assert(y != 0 && "Don't divide by zero!")` before the
return statement*,
   (c) return `y / x` instead?

I guess Kristoff's uninitialized field after construction checker is
actually a good candidate for fixits: in many cases you can avoid the
warning by initializing the field with {} (as long as it's your direct
field and it's default-constructible). But even then, the bug may be
worse than that, eg. it might have been in fact caused by invalid
control flow somewhere in the constructor. Or the default constructor
may be the wrong constructor to use even if available. I actually
remember how in my early days i zero-initialized a field in my
constructor and got 20 test failures simply because the garbage value
from the stack was working much better :/ It was worth it though. So,
yeah, i guess it's a good example of a path-sensitive check that could
occasionally take advantage of fixits. I'd love to learn about other
such checks or understand what do they have in common.

_____
* Bonus points for providing a similar fixit hint for:
   02   int y = -1;
   03   return x / (++y)".