[cfe-dev] [RFC] clang-ifso: A new clang-based tool for generating interface libraries.

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 9 04:53:37 PDT 2019

On 09/04/2019 10:06, Jake Ehrlich via cfe-dev wrote:
> 1) Producing from headers: This let's you build the .tbe file and/or
> stub before anything is compiled or linked. It however requires you to
> keep track of headers which is slightly complicated or verbose depending
> nonnhow you do it. It also requires reparsing everything. Further still
> you have to make sure you have all the same flags and you also have to
> make lots.of assumptions about the linker. It's basically very redundant
> and requires a lot of matching of behavior of the compiler and linker.
> Also keep in mind that you can at most match the behavior of 1 compiler
> and 1 linker. They're similar but not exactly the same and there are 4
> major combinations of these things between GNU and llvm. Also keep in
> mind that in general you actually need to use arbitrary source nfiles
> not just headers files.

Even in a very clean library, headers do not typically contain symbol
versions and so a .so file created from the headers will not give a
version that you can link against and have a binary that works with the
real library.  At a minimum, you'd need to also parse version scripts.

That said, I can see the utility of a tool that compares the symbols
exported from a library with the interfaces declared in the public
headers and warns you if you're leaking private interfaces across a .so
boundary.

David