[cfe-dev] [GSOC 2019] Apply the Clang Static Analyzer to LLVM-based Projects

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 5 11:41:19 PDT 2019

Hi,

You made it pretty far! I added a few comments inline on the doc.

The common technique to debug false positives, crashes and mis-modeling
is to dump the Exploded Graph in graphviz .dot format, as described in
https://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/checker_dev_manual.html#visualizing ,
and use it to isolate the line of code that was modeled incorrectly.
These dumps are usually huge but searchable. You usually start from the
bottom of the graph (much like when reading the Analyzer warning) and
see if the ProgramState dump contains anything that looks suspicious: an
impossible/incorrect value of an expression or of a variable, etc. Then
you search the graph for the place in which the incorrect binding has
first appeared. If the rest of the state at this place looks correct,
you're done; otherwise, pick that other incorrect item and search again.

Once you're done with it, you'll be pointed to a specific ExprEngine
visit function or a specific checker callback (if the node is tagged
with a checker tag) that you can debug with a debugger to see why does
it cause the incorrect item to appear in the program state.

Apart from false positives / crashes / mis-modelings, there are also bug
reporter problems (i.e., the warning is a true positive, but it's
impossible to understand by looking at the report). There aren't any
tools to debug those so far, so you usually have to use the debugger (or
prints) to understand how notes are added. But, luckily, warnings are
emitted much less often than transfer functions are applied, so these
are relatively easy to understand and debug.