[cfe-dev] [analyzer][GSoC] Problem Statement: Improving BugReporter with static backward program slicing

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 4 13:22:46 PDT 2019

I kinda gathered some understanding of the problem and the solution and
trying to come up with some sort of a plan, and for that purpose i'm
trying to step back from "we should totally do this cool technique"
towards a more "adult", "boring" point of view that consists in asking,
"what *do* we need to do?".

For now i'm seeing that the work on this problem can be decomposed into
three chunks:

(1) Collect slicing criteria from various sources,
(2) Perform slicing to discover data and control dependencies,
(3) Use information about dependencies to improve the bug report.

Chunk (3) sounds straightforward: we just enable or disable path pieces
based on information we already have. I don't fully understand how it'll
go, but i don't see any unknowns here.

Chunk (1) sounds like a large amount of routine, repetitive work:
convert sources of slicing criteria, such as checkers, to the new system
one-by-one. There is certain amount of known unknowns here: some sources
may be tricky to take advantage of (eg., liveness-related sources), some
may put stress on the checkers.

Chunk (2) is the research-intensive part: it has an easy 80% solution
(AST matching based detection that has already been implemented and
proved useful for one of the checkers) and an idea to improve upon it by
implementing a more sophisticated analysis.

Because chunk (2) is research-intensive, we need experimental data that
we currently don't have. In order to avoid spending a lot of time on
something that isn't going to work, we should try to gather that data as
soon as possible in our plan.

Because chunk (1) is repetitive, we don't need to implement it
completely; we can pick one or two sources and get them right.

Therefore here's the plan that emerges:
i. Pick one or two slicing criteria sources and implement them.
ii. Implement a simple AST-based algorithm for discovering dependencies.
iii. Apply the information produced by that algorithm to the bug report.
iv. Run the updated analyzer on real-world codebases and see what
problems remain.
v. Implement solutions to these problems.

Solutions on step v. may or may not be about coding a more sophisticated
slicing algorithm. They might as well be improvements in chunk (1), i.e.
discovering more slicing criteria, or they may be about a "horizontal"
improvement in the existing primitive algorithm (eg., cover more forms
of control flow or different variants of data dependencies, which should
have been a separate chunk).

That's roughly how i imagine it.