[cfe-dev] [analyzer][GSoC] Problem Statement: Improving BugReporter with static backward program slicing

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 3 14:40:40 PDT 2019

I just realized after reading your answer how ambiguous my email was. When
I said it is possible to trick the NoStoreFuncVisitor what I meant was to
prevent it from emitting notes and thus pruning interesting parts of the
bug path. But I am glad that we are actually on the same page regarding the
value of detecting control dependencies. The example 4 you provided is a
very compelling one :)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 23:16, Artem Dergachev <noqnoqneo at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> other branch it is unlocked, hey checker please teach me how to merge this).
>>
>> The variety of slicing criteria (that is a consequence of the variety of
>> checkers that we have) sounds pretty scary to me. Some of them are really
>> complicated, eg. the liveness criterion. Making sure that the generic
>> algorithm works correctly with at least a significant chunk of them is
>> going to be fun. Making sure it can actually handle arbitrary criterions
>> required by the checkers without having every checker come with its own
>> boilerplate for slicing also sounds hard. And it'll be very bad if we have
>> to tell our checker developers "hey, by the way, you also need to know what
>> backward slicing is and write down part of the algorithm in order to ever
>> get your checker enabled by default" - i'm already feeling pretty bad
>> explaining dead symbols and pointer escapes (which are pretty much
>> must-have in most checkers), these are definitely examples of a boilerplate
>> that a smarter version of GDM could handle automatically. In order to
>> conquer the world, i think we should stick to our "writing a checker in 24
>> hours" utopia: writing a checker should be as easy as writing down the
>> transfer functions for relevant statements. In my opinion, we should take
>> it as an important constraint.
>>

>> On 4/2/19 12:21 PM, Kristóf Umann wrote:
>>
>> Somehow the images and the attached files were left out, please find them
>> here:
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 21:16, Kristóf Umann <dkszelethus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> In this letter, I'd like to describe a particular problem in the Clang
>>> StaticAnalyzer's BugReporter class that I'd like to tackle in a Google
>>> Summer of Code project this summer. I'll show real-world examples on some
>>> of its shortcomings, and propose a potential solution using static backward
>>> program slicing. At last, I'll ask some specific questions. I'd love to
>>> hear any and all feedback on this!
>>>
>>> This is a *problem statement, *not a *proposal*. I plan to send out a
>>> formal proposal by Friday (but not later then Saturday), that will contain
>>> more details on both the problem and the solution. I don't introduce myself
>>> or my previous works within the project, that will also be detailed in my
>>> upcoming letter. I also plan to incorporate the feedback I'll receive to
>>> this letter.
>>>
>>> *---=== BugReporter constructs bad reports ===---*
>>>
>>> *What does the BugReporter do?*
>>>
>>> After the Static Analyzer found an error, the BugReporter receives an
>>> ExplodedNode, which, accompanied by its predecessors, contains all the
>>> information needed to reproduce that error. This *bugpath *is then
>>> shortened with a variety of heuristics, such as removing unrelated function
>>> calls, unrelated branches and so on. BugReporter by the end of this
>>> process will construct a PathDiagnostic object for each report, that

>>> 2  int *global_ptr;
>>> 3
>>> 4  void save_ext(int storeIt, int *ptr) {
>>> 5    if (storeIt)
>>> 6      global_ptr = ptr;
>>> 7  }
>>> 8
>>> 9  void test(int b) {
>>> 10   int *myptr = new int;
>>> 11   save_ext(b, myptr);
>>> 12   delete global_ptr;
>>> 13 }
>>>
>>> It's clear that if test is invoked with b's value set to true, there is
>>> no error in the program. However, should b be false, we'll leak memory.
>>>
>>> $ clang -cc1 -analyze -analyzer-checker=core,cplusplus leak.cpp
>>> [image: image.png]
>>>
>>> The Static Analyzer is able to catch this error, but fails to mention
>>> the call to save_ext entirely, despite the error only occurring because
>>> the analyzer assumed that storeIt is false. I've also attached the
>>> exploded graph leak.svg that demonstrates this.
>>>
>>> *Example 2.*
>>>
>>> Consider the following code example:
>>>
>>> 1  // divbyzero.cpp
>>> 2  void f() {