[cfe-dev] VS2017: LLVM Compiler Toolchain Plugin

Zachary Turner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 29 07:54:16 PDT 2018

To be clear, there’s no disagreement that when using MSBuild you should
have exactly the same experience with clang-cl and cl. And by exact same
experience, that means if anything is going on behind the scenes to make
sure the filename is printed, it should be invisible to the user.

The question is about what to do when not using MSBuild. Someone on Linux
who is running clang-cl from the command line would be disturbed by the
output because it’s not standard behavior for tools on Linux to do that.

With the implementation strategy I proposed in the earlier message, it
seems like we can have the best of both worlds. There’s only really one
tool I’m aware of that requires this output (MSBuild), and all other use
cases seem to prefer not having it.