[cfe-dev] [libc++] Benchmark std::regex implemenations between libc++ and libstdc++

JF Bastien via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 20 09:45:23 PDT 2018

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 6:22 AM, Louis Dionne via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 17, 2018, at 06:45, Aliaksandr Zaitsau via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Have anybody any benchmark results of std::regex between libc++ and libstdc++ implementations? Has libc++ any automatic benchmarks for the std::regex implementation?
>
> I don’t know of any libc++ benchmarks for std::regex. Looking at https://github.com/llvm-mirror/libcxx/tree/master/benchmarks <https://github.com/llvm-mirror/libcxx/tree/master/benchmarks>, there doesn’t seem to be any.

The WebKit team was working on a regex benchmark:
https://github.com/WebKit/webkit/tree/master/PerformanceTests/RexBench <https://github.com/WebKit/webkit/tree/master/PerformanceTests/RexBench>

I expect browsers to perform much better than C++ implementations because they’ll JIT the regular expressions. It would be neat to use the same benchmarks to see the difference.