[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Retrieving macro expansions in the plist output

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 4 11:12:46 PDT 2018

On 9/4/18 4:58 AM, Kristóf Umann wrote:
> > I guess nobody did this before because plists were supposed to be
> used by IDEs, and IDEs were supposed to have their own
> jump-to-definition functionality (in this case, macro definition).
>
> Is it correct that plists are only meant for IDEs?

I mean, i understand that you're trying to extend the format for a
different but completely valid use case, and there's nothing wrong about
it, but i just shared my random guess on why was it not important to
support, originally, in a historical perspective.

> IDEs cannot always know which compilation action was used to analyze
> the TU. Especially if the analysis (or the compilation) is made for
> multiple targets (32-64 bits etc).

That sounds strange to me. IDEs are assumed to be responsible for both
compilation and analysis (otherwise what does "I" stand for?), so they
definitely do know this stuff. And it's clear that in our case different
build targets would produce different analysis results, so any IDE that
integrates the analyzer would need to keep track of that.

> I've often been made aware of user complaints that the Static Analyzer
> found a false positive, but it's often virtually impossible to trace
> back what really happened, as the cluster of macros was so hard to
> follow, not even jump-to-definition was a satisfactory solution.

Users should either send preprocessed files with run-lines (a-la what
scan-build automatically dumps; possibly preprocessed with
-frewrite-includes to preserve macros), or very clear instructions on
how to build their code. Otherwise there are tons of other reasons why
you would be unable to reproduce the bug.

One of the most infuriating problems with reproducing bugs is hitting
various complexity thresholds in the analyzer. Eg.,
https://reviews.llvm.org/D28023 contains an epic story of how in order
to reproduce the bug i needed to hit a threshold with ±0.08% precision.
It's great that we have determinism, right?

> I think it would valuable to show the macro expansion as the Static
> Analyzer expands it. I'm however a little uncertain as to how I'd
> implement this. There's two options that came to my mind:
>
> * Add macro expansion info into the plist output (behind an optional
> flag, and maybe a macros-as-events flag too). This would easily be the
> best solution for my needs, but seems to be hard to implement well. It
> also depends on other consumers of the plist output whether there's an
> actual desire for this feature other than mine.
>
> * Develop a standalone clang tool that would create a new file with
> the macro expansions. This would be the least invasive solution for
> plist file generation, but also the least comfortable for my needs.
>
> My main question is, would you be fine with adding a new macro node to
> the plist output?

I would probably not be using it in the foreseeable future, but i'm
definitely not opposed to it. It seems that plists are quite reliable,
i.e. adding more keys to their dictionaries usually doesn't break
existing stuff.

Because George recently observed that generating plists might be a
relatively time-consuming operation (not as slow as generating htmls but
still noticeable in some cases), it might be good to keep it under the
flag; i'm not fully sure that these observations are accurate, so if
they aren't confirmed, i'm fine with having these dumps without a flag.

Are you planning to dump *all* macro expansions, or only expansions
around diagnostic pieces?