[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] GN build roundtable summary; adding GN build files to the repo

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 31 17:40:20 PDT 2018

On 11/1/18 1:29 AM, Petr Hosek wrote:
> I'm one of GN maintainers, I'd be happy to review to review and
> patches for other systems and architectures. We accepted AIX port a
> few months ago:
> https://gn.googlesource.com/gn/+/499868c6781dfb87dcefafd8f68dc578f3b70b44

Fair enough. I just had the experience with SKIA where my patches were
outright rejected with the answer "We don't care about big-endian".

This was also the first time I had contact with GN, I wanted to build
SKIA from source on a non-x86 target and eventually gave up after half
an hour or so.

>> Oh, and btw, any serious Linux distribution would outright reject to package
>> something that involves downloading another chroot to be able to build it,
>> build daemons are - by definition - offline.
>
> We're downloading the sysroot we use to build against to avoid
> dependencies on anything on the bot itself. I agree with you
> completely that this is something that build shouldn't do, and I plan
> on moving that step to the bot script.

Well, there is no need to tie this into the build system directly, that's
what Travis-CI or Jenkins are for. I'm just getting a bad feeling in my
stomach if the solution for building a tool from source is to download
a complete build environment instead of using tools on the target system
to achieve that.

> Until a few months ago, GN was part of Chromium and was relying on its
> infrastructure, build and source. We've decided to split GN into a
> separate project because it's being adopted by other projects and
> users outside of Chromium. We're still dealing with fallout of that
> separation and resulting cleanup. I hope that eventually building GN
> will be as simple and easy as Ninja itself.

Ok, then I hope that LLVM will be buildable with cmake until GN is
mature enough that I can build it from source on any architecture
on Linux without me jumping through loops.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz